Thursday, February 15, 2007

V Day, Love and Knights


courtesy of nataliedee


Well. V-Day or the alternative, the aptly named SAD day (Single Awareness Day) came and went with a revelation. Amongst all the hullabulla about love, hand-holding, cards and flowers I found myself hanging out at The Laundry with a few people checking out the scene. The laundry was having a singles night and bit by bit, large groups of single women and men dressed in their best and came and played hand brushing, eye gazing opportunity silly games. Frankly, I was quite bored. Not at the idea of a singles night but the idea of a singles night at a club/bar. Boring. Meaningless. Someone should do the Desperate and Dateless Ball like they do in Melbourne. It will be more apt I think. Not a usual celebrator of V-Day itself I found myself in the company of someone who was a self-proclaimed cynic of couple-dom and love. "I can't help but think, whenever I see a couple, that they better enjoy themselves while it lasts." he proclaimed. I dont know if I feel the same way though.

Although recently out of a great relationship and feeling a bit less than wonderful at this point in time, I guess I should be upset and a little jaded when it comes to love and relationships but what's funny is, I dont. I STILL do believe in love. I refuse to allow myself to be a cynic about it. Life is about choices and I can choose my beliefs. And I believe in LOVE. I just think that if I let myself be jaded and cynical, I might and will close myself off and end up bitter and crummy. And hell, I dont want to be crummy in this life. So, therefore choose love. While there maybe an absence of a manly love at the moment, the following still rings true:

I love my family and they love me.
I love my little Enzo and he loves me.
I love SOME of my friends and they love me.
I love Heroes and 24 and they love me.

M and I were talking the other day about a guy we both know, who at age 36, still prowls the clubs every week, hooking up with meaningless sex and has in his mind the "ideal" girlfirend- Beautiful beyond believe, tall, athletic, lips like Angelina Jolie, intelligent, mixed parentage, blah blah blah. A dream girl. The kinda girl you would dream of when you were a teenager of dating and that you will grow out off when reality bites. Well, he never grew out of it or grew up. Therefore, he has difficulty meeting this "girl". Those of us who have grown up realise that there is no such thing as the perfect person. A girl should realise there is no knight in shining armour. There maybe a knight, but he may come with a tarnished breastplate. So dont discard the possibility of someone just because he may have crooked teeth.
I'd better remind myself that...hee hee

No comments: